Attractions in Phangnga Province, Thailand - Historical sites
The Old Sala Klang
Sala Klang means Provincial Hall. This sprawling single storey building in the antique style known locally as panya is about 3.5 kms. outside Phang-Nga Town on Petch Kasem Rd.
Narai Nikayaram Temple (Wat Narai Nikayaram)
A temple 14 kms. distant from Kapong District Office. 3 statues are there of legendary characters: Phra Narai,
Phra Lak, and Nang Sida. These statues show the spread of Hindu culture during the shadowy period of history before
the Empire of Sukhothai and also indicate the origins and antiquity of Takua pa, called in ancient times Takola (c. 1300 A.D.).
Suwannakhuha Temple (Wat Suwannakhuha)
Wat Suwan Kuha is known locally as “Wat Tham” which mean a cave temple, located at
M.2 Tambon Krasom. This temple is very impressive and popular for tourist both Thai and
foreigner. Which Wat Suwan Kuha is one of the province’s important temples due to its
historical and archaeological background. The temple is located on a mountain with a
number of caves. Among them are Tham Yai, Tham Chaeng, Tham Muet, and Tham Kaeo.
Tham Yai is on the lowest level and decorated with ceramic tiles and crockery throughout
its length. This cave serves as a wihan where several Buddha images are enshrined. The
most important one is the Reclining Buddha. In another cave, there are royal initials of
kings and members of the royal family, such as King Rama V the Great, King Rama VII and
Queen Rambhaibarni, King Rama IX the Great, etc. The area in front of the cave is the
feeding ground of a large number of monkeys.